The perfect way to ensure that your cafe is memorable and set apart from its competition is to give it a name that is unique. It needs to get across the idea you have in mind for your coffee shop concisely. And you have to make sure that it is entirely different from the names of other cafes out there.
In this article, we will give you a run-through of all that you need to think before you name your cafe. Then, we are going to give you a few cafe name ideas that you might draw inspiration from. So let’s get started.
Things to keep in mind while picking a cafe name
Picking a name for your restaurant is a huge decision. It’s going to be among the first things that potential customers can judge you on the basis of. If you have a catchy restaurant name, you can be rest assured that it will pique people’s curiosity and make them want to check out your cafe.
Here are some things you need to keep in mind before you pick a cafe name:
- If you have a particular drink or a snack that is your specialty, you could try incorporating that in your cafe name. So for instance, if your most famous drink is Vietnamese iced coffee, you should try using this element in your name. Or you could simply use drink names such as ‘mocha’ or ‘frappe’.
- It is always a good idea to use the owner’s name or maybe someone else that is dear to you. It gives the business a more personal touch and this always does well with the customers.
- If your cafe has a particular theme that is out of the ordinary, you should definitely put it in your name. For instance, if your cafe is pet friendly, try thinking along the lines of using the words ‘dog’, ‘cat’ or other similar words in your cafe name.
- Don’t opt for a name that is tricky or difficult to pronounce. Pick short and descriptive words that immediately catch the eye instead of an exotic, fancy name. When you have a short name that is memorable, customers will remember your coffee shop and visit it frequently.
- You could use your location to your advantage. Let’s say your cafe is in a seaside town, not too far from the beach. You could use words such as ‘shore’, ‘sea’ or ‘waves’ in your cafe’s name to paint a better picture of where your cafe is located.
- Consider your audience. If your main target audience is young professionals looking for a quiet place where they can work while sipping on a good cup of coffee, incorporate this factor into your restaurant name. This way, you can reach out to potential customers easily without having to put in too much effort.
- Make sure you come up with four to five options while brainstorming for a name. Ask your close friends and family what they think about each of these options so that you can pick the most appealing one in the end.
- If you’re picking a particular color scheme for décor, you could use the names of different shades. A cafe name that has colors in it comes off as cheerful and vibrant, ultimately attracting potential customers.
- Don’t be afraid to pick a name that is funny or cheesy. People love puns and word-play. A unique, funny name is easy to remember. What’s more is if your name is particularly hilarious, people are definitely going to talk about it and this will lead to more popularity for your cafe.
- You could also consider popular movies, books or TV shows to name your cafe. Go for something timeless like Game of Thrones or Star Wars which have cult followings all across the globe.
- Try picking a name that makes someone instantly picture coffee. Go for strong adjectives like ‘steaming’, ‘creamy’ or ‘sizzling’ which immediately make you think of food and drink. This kind of name does wonders in evoking the senses.
Cafe names – Ideas and Examples to help you name your cafe
Here are a few cafe name ideas that we have come up with. Do not restrict yourself to these names alone obviously. These would help you understand what kind of cafe name will best represent your restaurant’s identity.
A Moka pot is a kind of coffee maker. A name like this one will appeal to any coffee lover out there. It is simple and gets the point across. So, customers are sure to walk in expecting good coffee.
If you have a cafe that opens up early in the morning, a name like this is perfect for you. Market your cafe as the ideal place for a cup of coffee, especially for all the early birds out there. Whether one wants to swoop in a for a cuppa before classes or work, a place like this one will give them just what they want.
Latte on the Rocks
A playful twist to “whiskey on the rocks”, this name is a catchy and funny one. You could market your variety of iced coffees available with different flavors and toppings too.
You could fill your cafe with all sorts of plants and flowers, giving the whole place a fresh feel. You could even have outdoor seating. The word ‘bloom’ incorporates this element of nature and peace in the name of the cafe itself.
A Cup of Joy
Sometimes, you don’t have to go out of your way to make your name seem unique. A cup of coffee, for most of us, is simply a cup of joy! It is a quick way to cheer ourselves up. A simple name like this one is sure to resonate with all coffee enthusiasts out there.
The Caffeine Fix
For many of us, a good cup of coffee is the perfect solution when we’re feeling low or have had a bad day. “The Caffeine Fix” is the perfect name for a place that provides the best coffee in town to cheer you up.
If your cafe is set in a location that is hilly, you should definitely use this fact to your advantage. Giving your coffee shop a name like “Coffee Hilltop” makes it seem different and more interesting.
The Tea Corner
If your USP is good tea and not just coffee, you could use that in your name. You could also try to market different kinds of tea from all over the world. Or you could focus on providing different masalas and unique types of teas.
Everyone loves a good mocha. Mentioning a particular drink in your cafe’s name is a great way to promote your restaurant. Check out this guide on tips and tricks to promote your restaurant
If you have specialty coffee beans sourced from a number of countries, a name like this can help attract customers.
Inspired from Harry Potter’s ‘Leaky Cauldron’, this name will definitely make all the Potterheads out there flock to you! You could get posters of the movie and incorporate colors of Gryffindor into your décor.
If your USP is different kinds of coffee beans sourced from all the coffee-producing states of India, you should use this in your name. You could pick a state or maybe even a particular city so that your customers know what to expect. Put up posters and infographics about different coffee sources in India as well.
If you have a pet-friendly cafe where people can bring their dogs too, you absolutely need to mention this in your name. ‘Coffee Pup’ is a twist on ‘Coffee Cup’ and will definitely make people smile.
This name is also a great option if you’re located in seaside town. You could even use the beach or the sea as inspiration for your décor.
Tarts and beans
If you have a cafe that offers desserts along with coffee, you could use the name of a specialty dessert in your name too. This way, it comes off as the perfect place to have treats in, along with coffee.
Time to pick a name for your cafe.
Coffee shops are growing more popular day by day. There are tons of coffee lovers out there who are always on the hunt to find that perfect cafe. Today, coffee shops don’t just aim to provide a good mocha or latte but they have become places that people like to work in or even study at.
While picking the perfect name for your cafe can be a little difficult and time consuming, it is extremely important. And if you do it right, you wouldn’t have to work too hard to create a brand image for yourself- your name will help you tremendously.