Eating House License is one of the basic licenses you need at your restaurant to run a legitimate business in India. The license would be acquired right at the time of opening your restaurant. In this write-up, we will give you an in-depth analysis of the various specifications of an Eating House License. Why you need it, where to get it from and what the various steps associated with getting one are. We will cover and explain all the steps that you have to take to get an Eating House License in India.
Here’s what we will cover:
- What is an Eating House?
- What is an Eating House License?
- How to acquire an Eating House License in India?
- Validity of the Eating House License
- Cost of issuing an Eating House License
- How to renew the Eating House License?
- How to get a duplicate Eating House License certificate?
- Other licenses required to open an Eating House
What’s an Eating House?
Definition 1 – Any place open to the public where any type of food or drink is served or supplied for consumption.
Definition 2 – Any place where food or refreshments of any kind (which does not include spirits, wines, beer, or other forms of malt liquors) are provided to the public and is then sold for consumption.
Establishments that are classified as an Eating House are: All restaurants, hotels, food trucks, and even small street food shops.
What is an Eating House License?
For a restaurant to legally operate and run in India, the Delhi Police Act has made it a mandate to have an Eating House License. The applicant who wishes to open an Eating house must apply for the same under the City or the State Headquarters.
Competent Authority for issuing an Eating House License?
The registration authority with regard to the Eating House License is the Commissioner of Police, Delhi.
How to acquire an Eating House License in India?
Here are the steps to go about obtaining the Eating House License in India.
Sign up online
Go to the official website of the police of the state in which you want to set up your eating house. Here is the one for Delhi Police – delhipolicelicensing.gov.in
Fill up the application form on the Eating House registration page.
You must first register yourself and your eating house on the registration page. You will have to fill in your basic details, create a User ID and Password. Using the created User ID and password, you need to login again and then proceed to upload your documents on the next screen.
Here is the link for the Eating House registration application form. Eating House application form link.
Upload the required documents
You would need a copy of all the official documents in order to apply for the license online. Below we have compiled a list of all the documents that you need to keep handy. The list is long but comprehensive, so you needn’t look elsewhere when you apply for the same online.
- Identification proof such as Permanent Account Number, Passport, Voter ID, etc.
- Proof of residence such as Passport, Voter ID, Government bank account proof, etc.
- Proof of tenancy of the land area (proof of ownership or the lease documents).
- Proof of tenancy or ownership or lease of premise (registered lease/sale deed/rent deed).
- A Self-attested No objection certificate (NOC) from the owner of the premise.
- A Trade License from NDMC/DCB/MCD/Airport Operator.
- The Certification of Incorporation of the companies and LLP.
- Memorandum of Association of the eating house and LLP.
- Complete list of Director Names and the current Form 32.
- The nomination of the decided Authorised signatory on the company’s letterhead.
- Resolution of the board for conducting business.
- A copy of FSSAI license/Registration papers.
- Updated GST registration certificate.
- A certificate of registration that is issued by the Labour Department, GNCT of Delhi.
- A Fire Safety Certification that is applicable for eating houses, which seats a minimum of 50 people at a time.
- The list of all the employees working in the eating house. This includes the food handler details – Name, parentage, and address.
- A Consent Letter from the DPCC (a provisional license that is provided on the basis of application submission proof).
- An approved site plan with Fire Safety measure certificates.
- A Self-attested prescribed Affidavit for issuing a fresh license.
- One copy of the Police Clearance Certificate (PCC).
- Permission from the Indian Performing Right Society (IPRS), for having amusement activities like DJ, Live Band, and Discotheque.
- The Proof of CCTV or surveillance systems that are installed along with at least 30 days of video recording having the details of installation or invoice of CCTV, etc.
- Photographs of the allocated space.
Document Verification Round for issuing Eating House License
After you submit all the required documents online, you must go to the Addl. Commissioner of Police Licensing of your state for the verification of your application and documents.
Seek updates from the Issuing authority
After your documentation and application verification round is complete, you need to be frequent with your follow-ups. You need to call up the allocated department and ask for an update regarding the status of your application. In the case of your application being adjudged incomplete (on account for incorrect information, misrepresentation of facts or inadequate details), the fees paid will be forfeited by the government.
Issuance of the Eating House License
Typically, if all the details provided by you are accurate, the license should be issued within a period of 30-60 days post submission of application.
Access the complete checklist for the eating house from the Delhi Police Website.
Validity of the Eating House License
The validity of the registration certificate depends on a case to case basis. Typically, the period of validity is defined by the registered authorities (that is, the police authorities of the respective states which issue the license).
How to renew the Eating House License?
The Eating House License is typically issued for a period of 3 years. Post termination of the validity period, you need to begin the renewal process. The process to follow for renewing the license is exactly the same as that of the process of issuing the license.
You can access the Eating House License renewal application form (Delhi) here – Eating House Renewal Form
Cost of issuing an Eating House License
The Eating House License is issued by the Police authority of a state where you wish to open your eating house. The cost of the Eating House License in India is approximately 300 INR and is usually issued for a period of 3 years.
How to get a duplicate Eating House License certificate?
For cases such as lost, damaged or otherwise defaced license certificates, you could make an application (along with a Lost report) to the registering authority of your state. The registering authority will then make an inquiry and issue a duplicate certificate upon payment of the correct fees.
What are the licenses that are required apart from the Eating House License?
These are the most critical restaurant licenses required to open a restaurant, obtaining them will ensure that your restaurant operates legitimately.
This is perhaps the most basic license that an eating house needs for running a legal business. The FSSAI license, also called Food License is issued from the FSSAI. FSSAI is short for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.
Essentially it is a 12 digit unique number assigned to a restaurant.
Here is the complete guide that would help you in getting FSSAI License for your restaurant.
Health or Trade License
This license ensures that all the health hygiene factors are taken care of by the eating house. It is issued by the Health Department. It takes a tentative period of 60 days to be issued to you after the successful completion of the application form.
Shop and Establishment License
To run an eating house business in India, you must register under the Shops and Establishment Act. This license is issued city-specific and should be issued within 30 days of starting your business.
Fire Safety License
To be covered from a Fire Safety angle, you need a No-Objection-Certificate (NOC) issued by the fire department.
For a complete list of all licenses to run a restaurant in India, check out this resource.
Applying for an Eating House License in India is fairly straightforward. You need to enter your details accurately on the police website, keep your documents handy for the verification. And regularly follow up for the updates. We hope this article helped you understand all that you need to know about an Eating House License.
More power to you!