A Restaurant POS system is an integral part of your restaurant’s operations – takes care of the billing, ticketing, invoicing, tax management.
It not just takes care of the critical day to day operations, but also provides data for holistic restaurant solutions. Like loyalty and CRM management systems, analytics and decision making.
Functions that are often overlooked in a busy restaurant despite being potential growth drivers.
The POS system is central to your restaurant operations. Its aim is simple – ease the operations process helping you with oft-recurring tasks. And be a central data gathering engine that brings together customer and operations data in meaningful ways. These 2 areas, besides great food (of course), are vital to your restaurant’s success.
And keeping up with upcoming POS technology trends is crucial. We are excited to see some interesting features coming into the world of restaurant POS technology, going on 2019.
Let’s get started.
Less hardware dependency
Gone are the days when you rely heavily on bulky and ugly machinery that takes up a lot of space.
POS now comes on portable devices like a tablet or phone. It also works on all operating systems.
Servers sometimes move from table to table, use tabs to take orders from customers. It allows them to make better recommendations to customers – what the hottest menu items are or what’s popular with other customers. In the traditional waiter-notebook approach, kitchens have to be intimated manually. In the case of tablet restaurant POS system, orders are forwarded automatically to the kitchen. This significantly reduces table flip and ordering processing time. And management of data is a lot easier too.
- Less machinery – less depreciation and financial costs
- Less clutter, low risk of getting obsolete
- Staying updated on the go
The Cloud Restaurant POS System
A Cloud POS system has several advantages. Here are the top features of a cloud POS software –
- Always online: This allows you to make updates from any location. You do not have to be physically present in your restaurant to make a critical change. Once the POS software is installed in your device, you are always in charge.
- No large upfront investment: Instead of paying heavy setting up costs like in the case of traditional POS systems, cloud POS systems work on subscription payment models. You can pay monthly. This reduces your financial burden and allows you to sign out if unhappy with the service
- Regular Software Updates: No risk of going out-of-date as your software makes online software updates automatically as and when needed.
- High security and storage: Being on secure and reliable servers, your data is safer than ever. This is a better bet than the on-premise alternative where data is stored on local servers and is at risk of getting tampered with.
- Works offline too: Probably the best part about the updated cloud restaurant POS system is that it will work offline too. – The data gets autosaved when the internet is restored.
Quick recap: Why does your company need a Cloud Restaurant POS system?
- Quicker Operations
- Safer data management
- Works Online/Offline
- Auto-updates to remain relevant (technologically)
Self Service Kiosks
Restaurant self-service kiosks have been a growing concept over the last few years. Built to increase the convenience of restaurant customers, self-service kiosks allow you to place your order on your own. Unlike the conventional QSR set-up where you’re required to stand at queues and wait for your turn.The interact with the staff (sometimes tedious!) and have your order placed. Self-service Kiosks are equipped with digital menus, easy to use buttons and self-service modules which eliminate the need for human interactions. Kiosks are quick to machine learn and give you all the statistics on the numbers that matter – such as the hottest item, the day’s specialty and so on, which further enhance the customer experience.
Also by making use of attractive menus, you get an opportunity to cross-sell and increase the average order value of your customer.
Summing up the advantages of a Self Service Kiosk
- Allows you to serve more customers and quickly
- Improves customer experience by saving them time and giving them control
- No waiting in long queues
- More opportunities to cross-sell consistently and centrally
Restaurant Table-side ordering
Customers are able to place orders form the convenience of their tables. Imagine you are at a restaurant and you want to order that extra pint of beer and quick. You wave your arms frantically at a waiter but to no avail! Frustrating right? Now think tableside ordering – one click and your beer has been ordered. Well, cheers (literally)!
Table-side Ordering gives the convenience to both your customers and your servers. The customers benefit through easy order placing services. Whereas the staff benefits through more precision in online ordering taking. Also with more data, you will gain intelligence on what are the items bought additionally, at what time were the items ordered, which items go well together and so on.
Here are the main advantages of a Table Ordering System
- Better customer experience
- Faster kitchen intimations, less wait time
- Low staff dependency
- More customer behaviour data recorded
Integrations with major functions
The best POS system is one which can power your entire business. And works with all your key functions – Analytics, Feedback, Loyalty, CRM. It drives your restaurant management system. Easy integrations make the life of your staff easier in terms of training efforts. A quick and useful update to your restaurant POS system will be key going on 2019.
Advantages of Integrations with functions
- Single software solution for all your restaurant functions
- Better machine learning
- Easier to train staff
An upcoming trend to watch out for in 2019. We have seen some quick service restaurants make use of biometric facial recognition. In this, all you have to do is smile at the camera and the software will populate your details on the screen and the restaurant will quickly profile you – your demographic details, your past order history, your loyalty points and so on. Also, there are very practical applications of facial recognition technology in the payment process. Imagine what that could for your customer experience!
Advantages of Facial Recognition
- Better customer profiling
- Integration with other systems such as CRM, Loyalty
- Quicker payments
In this article, we covered the key trends we feel you should have an eye on this year. These should be on your mind too as you look to serve a better experience to your customers in 2019.
We hope you liked the read. More power to you!
Back to growing.